Thursday, July 31, 2008

Home Sweet Home

AHHHHH! We had a GREAT trip, but we are SO happy to be at home. There is nothing like the cozy feeling of laying your head down on your own pillow in your own bed. We did not ALL come home though...my girls stayed with Nana by themselves for an extra week. They have had a FABULOUS time - hopefully my mom will email her pics so you can see all of the fun they had (hint, hint mom).

As soon as we got home, I went to check my garden. I often refer to my garden as "my crops" because I LOVE them so much. It is a small little garden, but it is yielding plenty for our family.

This year we have, green onions, bush green beans, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and Big Boy tomatoes. Next year we are hoping to expand our garden a little. I think I will plant more peppers and some Roma tomatoes. Also, I think I will go with pole beans, instead of the bush variety. We'll see.

The kids get a big kick about checking the garden every morning and "bringing in the crops."
There is something so satisfying about cooking with your own homegrown veggies. I LOVE to say "Hey Honey, can you go grab me a pepper" (or whatever kind of veggie I happen to need from the garden). So far I have made squash casserole, zucchini au gratin, fajitas with the peppers from our garden, broccoli salad, tomato and cucumber salad, numerous tomato sandwiches and cucumber sandwiches and the unanimous favorite, zucchini bread...I have already made about 18 loaves and still have lots of shredded zucchini in the freezer for more. Yum!


I use Kate S's recipe from my Ward Cookbook:

Zucchini Bread
3 eggs
2 c sugar
3/4 c oil
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 c grated zucchini
2 c flour

Beat eggs until foamy. Combine all other ingredients. Beat well. Pour in greased and floured bread pans (makes 2 loaves). Bake about 45 minutes at 350.

We have been serving it with a little whipped cream for a yummy after dinner dessert!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

I'm so jealous!! I want a garden so bad, maybe in a few more years.

I made Kate's Zucchini bread the other day. It is yummy!

Carter Family said...

Gardening is awesome but I do have to say that the best thing that gardens grow is corn. Think about it for next year.
Bryce

Kate said...

Yeah for gardens and my zucchini bread recipe! You have me beat though. I have only made 8 loaves so far. Glad it is a hit at your house.