Friday, November 7, 2008

A Different Type of Halloween


This year we had 3 pirates and one wizard (Hermione Granger from Harry Potter to be exact). You may notice that our usual picture of all four kiddos on our front porch is missing...that is because one of our brave little pirates was in the hospital on Halloween. The Wednesday before Halloween, we were sent to the ER with Nicholas because he had high glucose level in his blood. I had taken him to our pediatrician because he was all of the sudden wetting his bed every night (after months of not) and was literally standing by the fridge begging for "more cold water." Turns out that he has Type I Diabetes. We were in the hospital with a wonderful staff (more on that later) for four days to get his sugar levels stable and for me and Todd to learn how to check his glucose levels and give his insulin shots.

He is a trooper and we are home now and all is going well. We are all getting used to the changes that we have to make to take care of a diabetic child. I have to say, I am so proud of my sweet children and how they have rallied around Nick in encouraging him to be brave when he has to get his shots and also in putting off their own desires for sweets and candy so as not to make Nick feel sad that he does not get any.


Back to Halloween, the other three went trick-or-treating with their neighborhood friends and had a great night. However, as I said earlier, no one has even asked for their candy. Tomorrow I am offering a "buy-out" of the candy and will get it out of the house (because it is still tempting ME, even though my kids have not been eating it)!

7 comments:

Ashley said...

The costumes are awesome. Nick is such a cutie. You all are in our prayers during this time of transition. Love you.

Gina said...

Christine, your kids are so cute! We have some good friends here that had this same experience with their daughter over Halloween. I'm glad everything is okay and hope that it continues to go well.

Shana said...

What a good looking bunch. I bet you are all experts on diabetes by now.
You really do have great kids!

Nana said...

It was wonderful to witness the way your family, church family and neighbors pulled together to help you all through a very difficult week. You all are already into a pretty good routine that will only get better as time goes on. Nicholas has been so cooperative considering all the changes he had to make concerning his diet,finger pricks and shots. Pretty amazing for a three year old.

Ty KT Family said...

Christine-
We have been thinking about your family and are glad to hear you are all doing so well. we are praying for you and Nick.

Groves Family

Chris said...

The kids are adorable! I'm glad things are going Okay! That is so hard but it sounds like you are all handling it really well. We will keep you in our prayers.

Liz said...

Christine-you're in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so glad Nick was able to get help. I'm sorry to hear about this challenge and I know you're a family that can rally around each other to meet it well. Sounds like you already have! Take care!