Wednesday, October 3, 2007

"Fix-A-Flat"

So, Todd had to go out of town yesterday. This morning I piled all the kids in the van and dropped the girls off at school and was going to head down to Owings Mills (about 30 minutes away) to pick up a friend and her girls to go to the park. HOWEVER, while I am in the drop off line, this lady flags me down to tell me I had a flat tire! I had no idea that it was flat, and furthermore, I had no idea what to do. I did not think I was capable enough to get a spare on, and it wasn't COMPLETELY flat, so I was trying to figure out how to get my tire fixed. Of course, I could not get a hold of Todd and I am so ignorant in how to handle these matters that I began to get a little stressed. So, I called my ever-practical sister, Ashley, and she instructed me to find somewhere to put enough air in it to get me to Mr. Tire. Of course, the first gas station I went to did not have an air pump, but the guy said he had a can of "Fix-a-Flat" in his car. I told him that I didn't know where the leak was, so that was okay (now, looking back at that, I am sure he thought I was cuckoo - read on). I scrapped the air idea and decided to just press on to Mr. Tire. I was totally stressing the whole way that I was going to wreck the rim, but I made it. I left the car there and went and walked around Wal-mart with the boys for 2 hours while they fixed the tire. None of it turned out to be a big deal at all and I was feeling very proud that I had gotten it all taken care of even before I had a chance to talk with Todd. However, when I finally DID talk to Todd, he informed me that I have a can of "Fix-a-Flat" in my car. I responded to him the same way I responded to the gas station attendant, "I don't know where the tire is damaged, so I can't repair it with Fix-a-Flat". To which he responded, "Christine, all you do is spray the can in the air valve and it sprays this foam stuff in the tire and seals it so you can make it to your destination." OHHHH! I thought "Fix-a-Flat" was like some kind of liquid intertube repair stuff that you sprayed directly onto the hole in your tire to patch it. This is what happens when you have no brothers and a dad who just took care of all this kind of stuff for "his little girls." I appreciate him for that, but I need some serious "fixit" training. Anyway, I thought the whole thing was pretty funny and now it is only noon and I have a brand new tire!

2 comments:

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

I wouldn't know what to do with "Fix-A-Flat" either...I guess I need to go buy some. If it makes you feel any better I do have brothers and I did take care of car stuff.

Shana said...

LOL, I can just hear that conversation between you and Ashley and then between you are Todd,and I can't help but chuckle!